The Pomeroy School - 1909

100 0676Known as one of the older schools in Manitoba, this school was built in 1909 in the Pomeroy district near Roland and is  an example of the type of one-room schoolhouse that would have stood in each township before amalgamations took place. 

Newton School (now Pomeroy) was formerly of the Newton School district No. 58, which was formed on October 1, 1878.  The first classes were held in Little Log Mission, before the first school was built in 1883.  The first school was located south of Tobacco Creek and east of Highway # 3.  This school also served as a church until Pomeroy church was erected in 1896. 

In 1886, the school was moved south of Tobacco Creek and west of Highway # 3.  This school (now located at the Pembina Threshermen's Museum) was built to replace the first school.  On February 1, 1950, Newton School was renamed Pomeroy School to correspond with the name of the church and community and  was later consolidated with the Roland School district No. 902 in December of 1953, less than a year before its closure in June of 1954. 

Pomoroy School was moved to the Pembina Threshermen's Museum in 1974-75.

 

Horse Drawn School Van

A horse drawn school van was used during the 1920's & 30's to take school children to the Darlingford School. 

In the 1960's Gordon Cram took a van from the bush north of Darlingford where it had been discarded.  In 1994, Alex Benton of Miami took the van and fully restored the wheels to return it to working condition and then stored it in a shed at his farm to prevent deterioration due to the weather. 

The van went back to Darlingford for their Centennial in 1999 and before Mr. Benton's auction sale in May 2001, Mr. Benton & Margaret Cram agreed to donate the van to the Pembina Threshermen's Museum.

 

Donate Now Through CanadaHelps.org!
 
NEW brochure
(with updated map & rates)
coming later in 2016! 
 
brochuresev

HOME       EVENTS       VOLUNTEERING         RENTALS/MEALS        ANTIQUES      KIDS/GAMES     WHAT'S NEW