Morden CPR Train Station - 1905/06

railwayst

The Morden Canadian Pacific Railway train station, with its uncommon architectural roof line was designed by Ralph B Pratt in 1899 and it's believed that it was built to replace an earlier station that had burned down.  Construction of the station began in 1905 but was delayed until 1906, when it could be completed.

The station was moved to the Pembina Threshermen's Museum in 1972 and later designated a heritage building around 2008.

Freight Room

The large red freight wagons were pulled through the wide loading doors, and were used to load and unload luggage and other freight.  Trunks would be a common container used to hold belongings of families immigrating to the area from Russia.

Office

A book of original train passenger records is found here.  In the desk drawer, there's  the seal and wax for sealing envelopes, stamped with the "CPR" logo.  Two wooden mail cranes are on display.  These would be held out to trains passing by, so that a mailbag could be received or taken. 

Waiting Room

The waiting room still holds its original benches, stoves and radiator covers.  Note that the beam running the width of the room was initially meant to be a wall dividing the space into two rooms – one for the women and the other for men.  However, in the time between the architects' plans and the actual construction date, plans were changed to include only one room. 

Station Agent's Home (upstairs)

The size of the dwelling is fairly spacious for the time, as the job of the station agent was considered quite pretigious.  Also note that most of the artifacts in the home are primarily English, as the Station Agent for the CPR was typically an English man. 

The station was in operation until the late 1960's and was moved to the museum grounds in 1972. 

The station's platform along the tracks has become a popular location for photos, as weas the back of the caboose!  

 

IMG 4665                       IMG 4714

           Front of the Station                                                   Back of the Station

The Caboose

The caboose was the brightly colored car that marked the end of every freight train. Tradition on many lines was that the caboose should be painted a bright red and it provided the train crew with a shelter at the rear of the train. 

From here they could exit the train for switching or it would protect the rear of the train when stopped.  It also served as the office of the conductor and the "home" of the train crew for longer trips with minimal living quarters. 

Although cabooses were once used on nearly every freight train in North America, their use has declined and they are seldom seen on trains, except on locals and smaller railroads.

Donate Now Through CanadaHelps.org!
 
NEW brochure
(with updated map & rates)
coming later in 2016! 
 
brochuresev

HOME       EVENTS       VOLUNTEERING         RENTALS/MEALS        ANTIQUES      KIDS/GAMES     WHAT'S NEW